April 18, 2011

Sunburst clock.

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a good weekend. I kept myself busy and managed to finish a few projects - the first of which I'll share right now! There's a popular trend right now with sunburst mirrors/clocks and I've seen plenty of DIY versions that looked relatively simple to make so I thought I'd give it a shot!
 I started with a $4 clock from Target and some wooden skewers from IKEA. I'm not sure how much they were because I bought them ages ago but they were probably a few bucks.
 Then I took a piece of round cardboard and made a few markings as to where the skewers should be placed. 
 
 Then I started hot gluing the skewers!
 I tried to keep some semblance of a pattern but the interior part got a little iffy but I'm okay with imperfection - it gives it character! And I just eyeballed it so what do you expect?
 Once everything was glued down, I took it outside to paint. At this point, I was a still debating what color to paint it but settled on an oil rubbed bronze. Looking at it now, why didn't I paint the whole piece of cardboard?? Oh well, it's going to be covered anyway.

And now for hanging...since this is a clock I needed to be able to access the back to change the battery so I decided to nail the sunburst part to the wall and then just hang the clock right over it!
 And here's the finished product! It took a little time, but it was a really easy project!
 And if I get tired of this color, I can just spray paint it again! And if I ever find looking glass paint (which can turn a glass like surface into a mirror like surface), then this just might become a mirror. Until then, I'm loving this against the gray wall!

1 comment:

  1. I have seen these and I must say, yours looks great!

    I like the color...and think it would look awesome yellowish gold too!

    ReplyDelete